Tuesday, January 29, 2008

PICK OF THE WEEK

Every Wednesday new comic books arrive at my store and I choose my favourite as my personal ‘Pick of the Week’. This decision is made before I read the issue and is based upon several variables. Contributing factors include the creators, cover, story summary, previous events in the comic, and personal interest in the comic. The options I choose from our only limited by what Diamond has listed to release this week according to their shipping list (and in some rare cases the issue won’t even arrive at my shop). So without further adieu, this week’s pick is:

Wormwood: Calamari Rising Part #1



Ben Templesmith
Just when Wormwood thought he could finally have that quiet drink without worrying about the world coming to an end, or a friend with a parasitic infection trying to kill him, The Brotherhood of the Calamari decide to crash the party. Since their last meeting, they've tracked him across the thousand million dimensional possibilities of existence—and this time the entire Squideeverse is with them. Wormwood is going to learn the hard way he can't keep running from his problems as his oldest foe now threatens his favorite watering hole, Earth, with absorption into the Calamari group mind.
FC • $3.99 • 32 pages



It was a hard choice this week, especially when Jamie Delano FINALLY has a new book coming out (Narcopolis) and you're competing with Black Adam, 2 Star Wars titles, and 3 Avengers books. Hell, even the new Captain America was revealed this week (which I'll talk about this weekend)!!! Still, credit given where credit is due and this is where it belongs. Templesmith has never written a wormwood story that hasn't made me smile.

No comments: